Sunday, June 16, 2013

Author Interview with Erika Lindsen

Erika Lindsen
What is your favorite food? Color? Place? I am in love with cheese pizza with pineapple and tomato. So good! My favorite color is yellow. It’s bright, yet holds a bit of mystery to me. My favorite place? Hmm. I went on vacation to San Antonio and it is a gorgeous city. If you could change one thing about the world what would it be? More love for animals. What’s the name and genre of your book? Heaven’s Core is a sci-fi romance with cyborgs and swords and sexiness. Who is the audience for this book? I’d say anyone that love lighter sci-fi, maybe someone new to the genre. And definitely the romance crowd. Keep in mind, it is sweeter (no on page sex) but that doesn’t hold it back. Tell us why you to write horror tangled with romance? I think it’s because they’re my two loves. I’ve always been interested in demons and ghosts, but romance captured me a long time ago. So why not mash them? You started writing very young, what inspired this path?  More freedom to say what I want and live vicariously through others. Do people in your life inspire characters in your books?   Traits, yes. Not really full characters. How has your upbringing influenced your writing? Always use my imagination Tell us how you came up with the idea of writing books to support your nephew’s treatments. When Joey was diagnosed with cancer, it was like being kicked over and over again. I have so many horror stories from the hospital. But the kids there are stronger than most adults. So I wanted to give back by donating all proceeds from my Erika Talbot children’s book to the hospital. We had a successful Christmas last year. Do you have a special routine you go through before you begin writing? I write while I let my ferret exercise, so it goes: pop, computer, ferret, good to go. What kind of books did you read that influenced your own writing? Any and all romance. If you could play a character you created, which one would you be? Hannibal. I want to be a sword fighting cyborg Do you start writing with the end of the story? Nope, I go in order. Do you have characters, or plot first? plots What do you find most challenging? Balancing everything out. What kind of research do you do for your books? I make up most of what I write, mostly because I am Google challenged. How do you choose the title? It just kind of hits me. Do you see yourself in your characters? God no lol Do you have a new book in the works? I will be releasing At the Bullet’s Tip in July. It’s a romantic suspense. 
Available at Amazon Smashwords Kobo Barnes & Noble All Romance eBooks
Available at Amazon
  
Erika Lindsen was born in Ohio in 1987. She enjoys reading and writing paranormal romances, some with a sexy twist. Her favorite creatures are vampires, zombies and harpies, in that order. She has survived the Mayan apocalypse but not holidays with the family.
From Erika:
Some days are not easy being a writer. Some people will tell you it’s too many plot bunnies to choose from. Some will say writer’s block. So me, I’m having to form a sentence.
I was diagnosed with multiple mental disorders, the three hard ones being bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder and social phobia. It may sound weird, but when a writer plots and gets to know their characters, I get nervous. I have this awesome idea for a swordsman or assassin, but they intimidate me. Yes, something I’ve created freaks me out. I wonder if my weirdness will rub off on them. Then I realize it will make them more real. But it’s a struggle.
Subbing books to publishers is not easy. Every writer, and person for that matter, is afraid of rejection. We all want to be accepted. But my BPD makes it love or hate. If I get the courage to sub, I sometimes retract the submission.
Life with a mental illness is never easy. I see multiple doctors and take a cocktail of drugs to stay stable. But the thing that does get me through it is writing. Somehow, my disease will let me into a world that I can explore. It keeps me busier than any basic hobby. It keeps me thinking and guessing. I think when you have a disability it’s best to find something that safely challenges you. Some days are harder than others, some days are impossible. You have to know your limits and be ready to push them, or not, depending on what keeps you healthy.
I used to hate my illnesses. My characters were to plastic because I wanted them to be “normal,” but then I figured out that readers don’t want normal, and that it only makes me, and therefore my characters, unique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment